Sunday, March 22, 2009

Zero Chester's '98

Eleven years ago...

http://www.archive.org/details/zero1998-03-20
http://www.archive.org/details/zero1998-03-21
http://www.archive.org/details/zero1998-03-22

I honor the anniversary of these legendary shows every year by dipping back into the archive and replanting myself in that tiny shotgun bar in the northwest corner of Arkansas.

My brother, friends and I made the 10+ hour journey from Chicago, drawing on our experience traveling the country for Dead & Phish shows. While Zero was not quite packing the same amphitheaters as our aforementioned rock gods, they were still commanding the attention of our musical receptors, and what better way to honor the potential than with a three night run road trip!

The band played what amounted to 3 sets per night, pouring through their repertoire of blues, funk, covers and of course the epic melodic peaks of glory.

My personal highlights include:
3/20: Sun Sun Sun opener, Running on Faith, Anorexia, Tangled Hangers!!!!, Nancy Germany, Golden Road, Horses.

3/21: Into the Mystic > Chance in a Million, Kissin' the Boo Boo, the ENTIRE second & third sets + encore.

3/22: Cole's Law, Gregg's Eggs, High & Lonesome, Up on Cripple Creek, Catalina

Cripple Creek reaches true escape velocity, one for the ages.

Catalina experiences a complete and total musical convergence, producing light energy drawn forth from the ground. "Pumping Oil"

These shows also had a special significance to me as it was one of the first overnight musical adventures I'd taken with my brother, who had turned me onto live music years earlier. It was also here that I would meet one of my best friends and future room mates, as well as have the honor of interviewing Meester Martin Fierro in his hotel room before the third show. One of these days I must get around to transcribing it and posting it along with the video online.

I can also unequivocally say that these shows validated the power of live music and provided true inspiration to take my burgeoning musical hobbies and turn them into a real life devotion, and exactly a year later launch JamBase.com.

Enjoy.

"Catalina, seek and you shall find."