Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Correlating Actions and Results

Whenever I play golf, which is maybe about four times a year if I'm lucky, I typically spend the first 4-5 holes just getting back into the game. It seems that no matter what I do, there's little rhyme or reason to what will happen to the ball. Swing easy, keep your head down, breathe out, turn, pause and drop...

It usually takes me half a nine before I can actually make little changes to my swing and see the result, and once that breakthru happens it becomes a whole new ball game. The last time I played I ended up par-ing the last three holes, which only makes you want to keep playing.

There's an analogy to business and product development in here somewhere, sort of the opposite of doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result, or somewhere in between that and the hedgehog/fox concept.