Wednesday, May 17, 2006

LinkedIn vs. Friendster

I accept every LinkedIn invitation I get (so long as I actually know the person).

I immediately delete every Friendster and MySpace friend invitation I get.

Why?

I think my impulse reaction has evolved from the fact that LinkedIn is actually providing a service, while having more friends on Friendster and MySpace isn't going to do anything more than take up more time.

More connections on LinkedIn may actually provide a benefit for me and my colleagues (that's business friends to you and me).

I think this is what the next generation of all this "social media" stuff is going to be all about.

Actually providing a resource instead of just being all about flirting.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to flirt; but with limited time and only so many hours in the day, and my inbox already overstuffed with way too much sp*m (this week all with the subject line "the ccred"), at a certain point you have to eventualy gravitate away from things that are just fun to flip through - like photos of your friends' friends' friend and move more towards things which provide an added benefit resource or service to your life.

We'll see...