Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Why Don't You Use Rhapsody?

Full disclosure: This isn't a sales post, but JamBase is a Rhapsody affiliate partner.

I've been a Rhapsody subscriber for a few years now and it completely opened up my musical world.

I find myself using it for a variety of purposes:

1. Recall: I think of a song and want to hear it immediately, or think of a lyric and google it then listen to the song. Very satisfying

2. Fanatical: My daily Neil Young dosage, nuff said

3. Active Discovery: Looking through music history, if want to aquaint myself with the early My Morning Jacket catalog, or figure out how Bob Dylan recorded Desire and Hard Rain in the same year, or just want to research the John Coltrane experience...it's all there, along with every Bob Marley album I could want.

4. Passive Discovery: Rhapsody Radio - put in 10 of my favorite artists, it spits back an unlimited amount of music relative to those musicians. Great while making dinner.

5. Rarities and Exclusives: Interviews, Accoustic versions and Live Shows not available anywhere else...

I'm sure there are a dozen or so more uses for Rhapsody which, if you're a Rhapsody subscriber, you can tell me about using the comments section below.

If you're not a subscriber, I'm really interested to hear why not.

If you're a MAC user, well, then...yeah, that's your reason. But for the other 90% of you, is it the cost, portability, reliability, your desire to pay 99 cents for every track you want to listen to?

I like to say that if I bought all the music on iTunes that I've listened to on Rhapsody this month, I'd probably have spent $1000. That brings up a bigger issue for the music business, payment to artists, etc...but we don't have to get into that right now.

Rhapsody is one of those rare products that actually delivers on its promise. It is the ultimate celestial jukebox - hundreds of thousands of song at your fingertips...

So why aren't you using it?

As I said at the beginning, this wasn't intended to be a sales post, but if you're interested in checking out Rhapsody, you can download it here: http://rhapsody.jambase.com
It's free for 2 weeks and if you're not totally hooked on it you can never use it again.

Enjoy...and seriously, post a comment below and let's talk about what else you might be looking for in your digital music universe.