Sunday, July 01, 2007

When they say iLife, they really mean it...

Since getting the Apple MacBook several months ago, I've noticed a striking difference in the way I use my two computers.

I still have my Windows PC laptop, necessary for work-related items, databases and general code focus.

The MacBook has become all things personal. Music, Movies & Photos.

I moved all of my iTunes music onto the MacBook, and it's happier for it. Since I bring both to work it's there for me, and my PC isn't bogged down with extra files that are rarely accessed. iTunes was originally made for the Mac, and you can tell.

iPhoto works great at organizing my pictures. I'm encouraged to do more snapping and appreciate looking at them on the Mac more than I ever did on the PC. I've got the Picasa web album plug-in installed so I can upload to my account whenever I want to share. I wish that you could customize the iPhone "email" settings to not use .Mac, which I haven't subscribed to, but alas...Full Picasa for the mac? Maybe...

And then there's Movies. The built-in iSight camera opened up a world of opportunity for playing with iMovie and also syncing with the Palm makes it easy to play movies via Quicktime.

In a nutshell, the PC is for work, the Mac is for play.

There's also something else. Since getting the Mac I've felt like I've opened myself up more to explore the latest and great technologies. I've been Video chatting with iSight, webcasting with ustream and generally appreciating the style, elegance and consciousness of the Apple products.

Now if I can just ween myself off of needing to code I could rid myself entirely of the PC Laptop. I know there are several emulators and even programs that will straight-up run Windows, but I don't really want to 'infect' the beautiful MacBook with that kind of operating system, if you know what I mean. So, I'm a two computer guy for a while. Plus it keeps me in tune with the differences...

Oh yeah, and yes, I really want an iPhone