Monday, November 05, 2007

Seattle

This past weekend I ventured up to Seattle to speak on a panel at the MusicTech conference put on by the Grammy association.

It was the second time I'd been to Seattle, and both times the weather was gorgeous, albeit this time is was briskly cold, reminding me of sweet home Chicago. They tell me it's gray and rains there all the time. I've yet to see it.

The conference was pretty cool, held at the Experience Music Project and had what looked to be a little over 100 attendees. Mostly artists and local industry folks, they covered a broad range of music-web topics like download prices, licensing, royalty, streaming, social networking and my on panel: touring and technology.

On Friday night I went out to check out Sun O)) on Skerik's recommendation. Unfortunately, I didn't last through the two opening bands, which took a page from the headliner's lead and played consistently loud Drone Metal music. Not my primary genre, and I felt as if I was having somewhat of an allergic reaction and needed to vacate the building as quickly as I arrived. I'm not kidding.

Inspired to implement Genre classifications on jambase as quickly as possible, I roamed the streets for a bit longer before crashing in my heavenly bed at the Westin.

Overall it was a nice visit up north, and I appreciated being involved in an event which tries to intelligently discuss the current state of the music industry.

I've also found it somewhat refreshing to fly back on a Saturday. You really don't worry about missing much or needing to check your voicemail when you land, and you can typically fly standby on an earlier flight. Thanks Alaska Air.