Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Computer Updating

Got a new computer (PC) at the office. Unpacked it, plugged it in, turned it on. Went through set-up. Launched Internet Explorer. Hit Alt, selected Tools > Windows Update. Accepted all the messages. Installed installer software, accepted repeated messages.

Downloaded and installed 60 Critical Security Updates. Had to restart once during the process to finish installing additional updates.

Sometimes it feels like the people who make computer operating systems don't operate computers. Have they ever turned one of these things on before? Why make it so hard? Why not force update all computers immediately upon starting up? How many people don't run Windows Updates ever and thus have none of the latest security patches?

I have to say it, but when I turned on and installed my MacBook, it was a pleasure. I felt taken care of, and I actually enjoyed the experience.

This one made me want to throw it out the window.

It should be criminal, I tellya...