Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Keeping Up vs. Catching Up

I had the pleasure of spending the last week in Hawaii. Big Island, Kona. It was great (duh) with 80 degree weather everyday and beautiful ocean views.
Aloha. Mahalo. Namaste.

While I did my best to try and stay away from the net, the pervasive wi-fi and my semi-addicted nervous tick made it nearly impossible. I justified the occasional check-ins by telling myself that if I didn't clear out the Inbox just a bit I'd come back to 1000 emails and be buried. I avoided missing anything planned, took a few nice walks on the beach, played golf twice and had a lot of delicious fish. Still, the web was there. Emails, blogs, news, you name it, you can get it, anywhere.

As expected, re-entry was a little less than overwhelming today due to the ounce of email prevention. All that held me back was my own vacation fatigue and a 30 degree shift in temperature combined with constant rain. Nevermind, I am in no way complaining, not for a second.

Beyond the usually stuff, the time away did well to remind me of what's most important. My wife, family and my own health. My favorite moment was running along the ocean and stopping at one of the several lookout points to sit on the bench and ponder the infinite. After a minute of quiet staring and breathing, my mind stared rushing with inspired thoughts and motivated ideas. It's an incredible phenomenon. To quiet the mind for only an instant will reveal a wellspring of hidden gems.

Since we bombard ourselves constantly with commercial stimulation and busy-work, we never quite get the chance to catch-up, let alone keep up. Slowing things down for just an instant serves to actually create more space.

Space to breathe, to think and to just be...

Aloha. Mahalo. Namaste.