Thursday, October 14, 2004

Google Launches Desktop Search

Just when you were wondering what they'd do next, Google launches a Desktop Search tool. Never again will I have to rely on the Microsoft doggie to try and sniff out a file that I'm looking for, or wait while Outlook painfully tries to figure out who I've emailed with a certain subject line.

It also gives me the option to see any local results when I do a normal web search through Google's website.

I think this is one of the best advances in search I've seen in a long time, and as Google says: "it's always been a bit strange that you could find what you were looking for more easily if it were hidden on a website in Irkutsk than in a corner of the hard drive sitting right in front of you"

Considering the vulnerabilities that Google faces amidst more integrated competitors like Microsoft, this is definately a step in the right direction to ensure the dependancy on their product.

Privacy is an obvious issue for everyone, and I'm glad to see they've hit it head on and are being pro-active about it. In the long run, I think Google's biggest asset will be TRUST. They've rarely steered me wrong, and their manstra of "do no evil" is one that I can certainly get behind.

http://desktop.google.com/