Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Are We Supposed to Go "Behind the Music"?

I was thinking this morning that there is a certain mystique and persona which live music entertainers have that make them somewhat larger than life. I know I've looked up to and idolized my fair share of celebrities over the years, and there's just something about the stage and the art that combined together make it worth worshipping.

When you go behind the scenes, however, that starts to quickly fade away as you realize they're just regular people who put their pants on one leg at a time and have the same (if not more) problems as the rest of us. I remember hearing recently about an image shattering picture of Bruce Springstein doing the dishes on his cellphone - - do we really need to see this? Do we really want to see this?

For as much as we often push to get closer to the artists we love and learn more about them, hear the gossip and know the insider secrets, I've found that it is the barrier of the stage and the ability to admire from afar which is often times the most rewarding.