Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The iPod Video

Last week I made an innocent and naive plea for someone to offer up an on demand video service for TV. Low and behold, Apple did it today. The Apple way.

Announcing their new Video iPod and iTunes with music videos, shorts (from Pixar) and TV shows (ABC only for now) for purchase as downloads, they've taken a giant leap forward in the media delivery business. While the few folks I asked scoffed at the value of such an offering, as usual I'm a bit enamored by their move to bring the obvious future to the masses today.

Clearly this is where everything is going, and with all of the money, resources and smarts, Apple figures that they should lead the charge.

I'm impressed, but definately not as impressed (or satisfied) as I would have been if they made a deal with NBC too and I could download the season premiere of the West Wing right now. While I'm not a fan of any of the shows they're currently offering, they've paved the way for the floodgates to be opened.