Sunday, October 02, 2005

3516 emails...(update)

Update: 10/4 5pm -

I've signed for up SpamArrest and so far have been enjoying it immensely. It downloads all of my email and sends each unverified sender a confirmation message which they have to (manually) approve. It's only a few extra seconds for the sender, but ends up saving me hours in now having to download and sift through junk mail every day.

I'm willing to give it a go, and if all works well I'll probably throw down the $4/month to keep things clean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...2338 spam (66%)

Going away from the computer for 12 days is a liberating experience to say the least.
Returning home to a boatload of junk mail can be an educational experience as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a server-side spam blocker or other tricks of the trade to avoid so many messages? Cloudmark does a good job of removing the bad ones once they've been downloaded, but I'd like to avoid them even reaching my computer.

A colleague of mine uses SpamArrest - i'm curious about your experience with any others, especially ones which are highly customizable, from the response message to whitelisting options on where the message is sent "To" (I have a lot of business-relates aliases which I want to always come through). Add your comment below.

More on our excursion once re-entry settles down at bit.