Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Server Transition Fun

I moved JamBase to a new set of servers tonight. The site was offline for just over 2 hours while I turned off the database, backed it up, FTP'd it to my new server and then restored it.

It took most of the day Saturday & Sunday just to move all of the regular code and image files over to the new location and configure the server. Then tonight I had to cre-create anything that was added during the workday, cross my fingers and flip the switch.

Not sure why i'm blogging about this...hopefully it will be smooth enough that noone will notice (except maybe the increased performance on the new server) - - maybe if there's an inquisitive developer out there preparing to move servers they'll find this and it will give them comfort knowing that others are sharing the pain. It sure did for me.

Here's a tip - if you're going to move your web server - tell your ISP a few days beforehand to change your DNS TTL settings to 5 minutes - this is the lowest setting. Then, when you shut your site down and move it, as soon as you switch your DNS, it will propogate immediately, instead of having to wait the typical 24-48 hours.

Ok, time to sleep.