Thursday, February 22, 2007

How NOT to cold call

Office Phone Rings -- no Caller ID -- reluctantly, I pick up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, how are you today?"

"I'm, ooook, how are you?"

"Ok, I guess...i think we've got a gas leak here."

"Wow, I'm sorry to hear that...how can I help you?"

"Well, I noticed that on your website you have contextual ads and I was wondering if you would be interested in running some of our ads?"

"Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, we're [company name] and we pay a referral fee for each ad clicked. It's absolutely free, and we split the money with you 50%"

"Hmmm, sounds interesting. How much can I make?"

"It varies, depending on the advertiser and how much traffic you get."

"Ok, well, can you email me some information to my email so I can pass it off to my sales person?" - I actually give her my email.

"Sure, will do"

"Ok, thanks, and good luck with that gas leak"

"Thanks"

--- 5 minutes later, I get an email ---

Subject: We Are Interested in Starting a Parntership with www.jambase.com

Hello Andrew,

I am trying to get in touch with you to discuss a new revenue stream option for your company. At [company name], we are constantly looking for new opportunities to expand our business and I would like to discuss with you a revenue partnership that will benefit both of our companies! Our Affiliate Program does not cost you a penny and will bring profit along with traffic to your website!! Below are a few of the many options we have to offer:

---

That's as far as I read before I hit delete.

If you're going to cold call, do it when the gas leak is fixed. Beyond me really wanting my business partners to have their priorities in order, it does no one any good if you're flighty and aloof during the call. I tried to give her a break on the phone, but the email was just too much.

-- 5 minutes later, the phone rang, strange caller id ---

"Hello?"

"Hi, I'm calling with xxx market research about your recent stay at a hotel."

oy...

the thing is, i actually took their phone survey.