Monday, February 19, 2007

I want to fly JetBlue

JetBlue is my favorite airline. I just feel better whenever I fly them. The leather seats, the free direct TV and the fact that their name is very similar to JamBase all add up to something positive in my mind.

Unfortunately, they were hit hard this past week by the big snowstorm that went through New York, and with their hub being JFK tons of flights were delayed, canceled and people were left stranded on the plane on the ground for up to eight hours(!)

Their CEO David Neeleman came out and said he was “humiliated and mortified” by what happened and has promised sweeping changes in the way the airline handles delays. He's even gone so far as to develop a Passenger's Bill of Rights and even start paying people for the hours they have to wait wondering when their flight is going to leave.

I've got a lot of thoughts on the whole thing, but the biggest one that comes to mind is...IT'S ABOUT !@@#@!! TIME!!!!

And it's not even about JetBlue, they're just taking the most heat in the press right now. The whole scene needs a shift.

It takes a big mistake to improve the situation, and the airline industry has been suffering from piss-poor service for too many years. Whenever I fly a commercial airline (other than JetBlue, before left week) I always feel like the energy has been sucked out of the room. It used to be a cool, innovative, space age way to travel, but as we know everything changed about 6 years ago.

Maybe the issues this past week will wake some people up to the fact that something needs to be done to improve the quality of service in the air, even if it is the fault of the weather (which, I'm told, they have ways of predicting)

By the way, JetBlue, fly direct from Oakland to Chicago. Please.

I took a train from Chicago to Philadelphia once. Took about 14 hours. That sucked.