Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Airport Wifi

I'm sitting in O'Hare airport on my way back from Chicago. I'm not connected to the internet, instead writing this on TextEdit.

I tried signing onto the internet, but they wanted to charge me $6.95 per day to get online.

You'd have to think that a large percentage of potential airport internet users are going to be quick, one-time users. You'd also have to think that they're one of the most desirable, targeted demographics for advertising.

So, why not let me get online for free, but show me an ad at the bottom of my screen (NetZero) - you could advertise the bar across the terminal or one of the airline's many sponsors. You could even give me discounts on future air travel.

But that's not the way the industry thinks. They consider the immediate pay-off from those that bite greater than the long term benefit from those who may have walked away. Free wi-fi means more connected, more satisfied and more likely to use your airline again.

JetBlue has free WiFi at JFK. Maybe they know something everybody else doesn't...