Friday, April 04, 2008

There are different names for the same thing

I have a confession to make, which might come as a shock to many of you.

When I need to get into the zone, and I mean really tune everything else out and focus on my email or code or mock-ups or whatever I'm procrastinating on today, I put on Death Cab For Cutie's "Plans" albums.

I know what you're thinking, and trust me, I'm thinking it to.

But there's just something about it which clears away some of the noise and converts it into, well, white noise. It allows me to tune out the day's remnant discussion and drill into that spreadsheet I've been putting off all week. It's just candy.

Marching Bands of Manhattan could be the ultimate anthem, and Soul Meets Body just takes me 'there'. By the time I Will Follow You Into the Dark I'm starting to peak at +3 and ready for prime time...

As the album gets into the meat of it I'm clocking along on the highway at 80MPH and really feelin it.

Once it's over I take my headphones off, refreshed, and bask at the glorious piece of work I've crafted in the past 45 minutes. Brilliant.

Thanks Death Cab For Cutie, you are my productivity cure for a hectic work day.

:)