Monday, March 17, 2008

Meester



Photo by John Werner

I'd known Martin Fierro for over 10 years. From the first moment I saw him on stage at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco, I knew he was the real deal. Warm, funny and genuine he could always bring a smile to my face. He told the corniest jokes, but it helped to pass the time during Zero's "short" breaks between songs.

I had the rare opportunity to interview him in person when Zero played Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1998. It was incredible of him to agree to sit down and talk with a naive and green newcomer to his musical universe and open up so vividly and positively about his history and spirit. I'll never forget it. I'll have to find the video and transcribe the interview, which was actually never published.

Not to mention, it was one of the all time greatest run of shows ever (Listen Here) and completely defined my musical life for 10 years. Check out the High & Lonesome, Cripple Creek > Catalina from the 3rd night. Mindblowing.

Thanks for everything Meester, we'll miss you.

Chut Up!

JamBase Martin Story & Comments