Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dan Bern is the Messiah

Dan Bern rolled into San Francisco's 12 Galaxies last night and put on another stellar intimate affiar showcasing his broad and evolving talent. Mixing it up between new and old songs, Dan fought off the technical difficulties as best he could, even garnering the electric guitar for a few numbers. Always nice to hear his tribute to Barry Bonds "rincon" and the often gentle swirling of major keys as he floating through his mind.

When the staticy feedback was too much to handle, Dan ripped the chord from his accoustic and ventured out into the audience, breaking down the fourth wall and busting into a crowd-wide sing-a-long of his personal anthem "Jerusalem"
    When I tell you that I love you don't test my love, accept my love, don't test my love, cause maybe I don't love you all that much.
The crowd surrounded him and stood up close while he gifted us with several old-time rarities including Marilyn Monroe and a few more new tunes.

The evening ended as Dan came back downstairs for an encore, perched upon the single stool on stage at the venue, still unplugged, and sang what must have been a 10 verse song that I had not heard from again.

If there is anything consistent about Bernstein appearances in San Francisco, especially during the off-season, is that they are diverse, spontaneous and you'll never know what you're going to get.

There is always one thing for sure, however. As my friend Chris likes to say - He just makes you feel like a human being again...