Sunday, November 19, 2006

Instincts

It's likely due to my lack of professional training, but I feel like many of the decisions I've made throughout my short career have been based simply on instincts. I'm not necessarily talking about the stuff you're born with, but the kind that exist in the moment of deciding, when it matters most.

Sure, we can be the most well trained, educated or rehearsed member of society for whatever our particular role may be, but nothing makes up for having the right stuff when it counts. All those hours or preparation simply serve to help us stack the deck at the moment of truth.

They say experience is the best teacher, this might be what they're talking about. Going through something sure gives you the context to recognize what to do the next time something like it comes around. It's hard having the foresight to make a hundred correct decisions in a row, learn from the 'wrong' ones (no wrong decisions!) and then grow, evolve, move on.

I guess I've been thinking about this a lot lately because for the past few weeks I've gone through a rash of questioning my own instincts. It's a hard place to be, because I don't have much else to go on. It's a combination of taking control of certain things while letting go of others. Knowing which is which and when to sit down or stand up. In the end, it'll work out for the best but for now I'm just trying to go with my gut and surrender to the flow of things.

At least, that's what my experience has taught me is the right thing to do...