Friday, March 24, 2006

Gomez



I caught the three front men from Gomez performing at Cafe Du Nord this week. I've missed the full band everytime they came through San Francisco, including the 3 night run which turned into the album "Out West". Many of my friends who's musical tastes I respect have told me to check them out, so I couldn't resist.

After seeing their showcase at SXSW last week, I knew it was something I could fall for. These guys are true 'artists' in every sense of the word, performing songs with depth, meaning and feeling that you can get lost in. "Songs for the thinking man" says my bud Chris.

The Du Nord was 'sold out', but not over packed. It was comfortable enough to get a good spot in the crowd and enjoy the sonic exploration. I don't know many of the songs, but I'm pretty sure they played what has now been the most repeated song the week on my Rhapsody: "Here Comes The Breeze"

The tune starts off with an accoustic build and then launches into a vocal layered rhythmic zone that figures out a way to take me a different place after every listen. They then break it down into a composition ending which repeats a theme from earlier that ties it all together.

Anthemic ballads like "Free To Run" and "Nothing Is Wrong" compelled me to put together a little 10 song Rhapsody Sampler: launch playlist

Needless to say, I'm hooked on Gomez. Gomez is your friend. It's good to be a fan.