Thursday, August 24, 2006

Email

I don't know where I sit on the scale of receiving email, but I've gotta be up there somewhere. I get a lot, and have been struggling for years to find a real solution to my inbox issues, while also keeping in tune with my priorities (see below)

Last weekend I made the switch to Gmail. I am now forwarding all email through Gmail, logging in there to check it, reply archive or delete and then using Outlook to download it to my computer for dealing with if I really need to.

Gmail doesn't have folders. It has labels, but that's it. Instead of sorting through messages, you archive them and then search for them later. It's kind of a revolutionary idea, and I'm starting to like it.

The goal of email is communication, it's not meant to be a To-Do priority list. But so many people use their email inboxes as a reminder of what they need to get to, and after seeing the other side I might just be committed to switching forever.

The real reason I switched to gmail in the first place is the spam filter. It rocks, and so far today has caught 568 spam messages that haven't been downloaded to my computer. It's an amazing feeling having a clean inbox and no spam in your outlook spam folder. All told I'm using 3 spam filters. The one on my mail server, gmail's and Cloudmark in outlook.

Honestly, I'm thinking about getting rid of Outlook all together. Gmail really wants to be the center of my universe, and I'm about ready to let it...

Now if I can only get back to the stuff I really need to be doing to move things forward...